The Hittites were an ancient Anatolian people who established a kingdom centered at Hattusa in north-central Anatolia around the C18 BC. The Hittite empire reached its height around C14 BC, encompassing a large part of Anatolia, north-western Syria about as far south as the mouth of the Litani River (a territory known as Amqu), and eastward into upper Mesopotamia
The Hittite kingdom is conventionally divided into three periods, the Old Hittite Kingdom (ca. 1750â€“1500 BC), the Middle Hittite Kingdom (ca. 1500â€“1430 BC) and the New Hittite Kingdom (the Hittite Empire proper, ca. 1430â€“1180 BC).
The Old Kingdom, centered at Hattusa, peaked during the 16th century BC. The kingdom even managed to sack the Babylonians (one of the Amorite Kingdoms at one point, but made no attempt to govern there. During the 15th century BC, Hittite power fell into obscurity, re-emerging with the reign of Tudhaliya I from ca. 1400 BC. Under Suppiluliuma I and Mursili II, the Empire was extended to most of Anatolia and Syro-Canaanite lands so that by 1300 BC the Hittites were bordering on the New Kingdom Egyptian sphere of influence, leading to the inconclusive Battle of Kadesh in 1274 BC.
Civil war and rivalling claims to the throne, combined with the external threat of the Sea Peoples weakened the Hittites and by 1160 BC, the Empire had collapsed. "Neo-Hittite" post-Empire states like Early Neo-Assyrians and contempories with the Neo-hittite successor states in Syria and other petty kingdoms under Middle or Neo-Assyrian rule may have lingered on until ca. 700 BC.
- Bow isn't a close combat capability - this is a typo in the first line of the list.
- There isn't too much other than chariots in this list, is there?
- Add your own comments here
- It looks neater if you do it with bullet points. Just put each new suggestion on a new line, starting with an "*"
User-contributed links about this army:
- BBDBA Hittite Empire DBA Figure Gallery for this army - from Fanaticus
- Hittite background on Fanaticus
- Hittites on History World background history
- More great figure pics from Vince Salvato
- put the link text readers will see in here write some more detail about the link here
Put information on allied contingents here - including recommendations on which to use, and why.
- Paint schemes, insignia, shield designs? Put it here.
|This is a full listing of 15mm manufacturers with Hittite ranges. A full listing of who supplies what can be found in my 15mm Suppliers directory|
You can see some of the figures in the Ancients Photo Gallery also on this site
- Essex Miniatures - probably
- Gladiator Miniatures by Fighting 15's (Gladiator Games) Hittite range
- Old Glory likewise
- Magister Militum Biblicals are their speciality
- Lancashire Games Nice and cheap
- Brian Hallâ€™s Hall of Ancient Warriors
- Falcon Figures Biblicals
- MY Miniatures in the first photo
Sample army lists for this army
Name of Army / Date
- Using asterisks inthe edit mode creates a bulleted list in the actual site
- This is a lot easier to do than easier than setting up tables
- For FoG I suggest listing your army in order or march
- with troop desctiptions on each line, for example
- 4 HF Armoured Average Drilled Impact Foot Swordsmen
- 8 LG Undrilled Unarmoured Poor Bowen
- Dont forget to include your Generals !!!
Include any notes you want here, including comments on how to use - or play against - the army.
Remember to leave a line before you copy the above section as a template for your own list