Historical Overview Section
There were two defining wars of the Classical era. The Persian Wars (500–448 BC) where Ionian Greek cities revolted against the Persian Empire supported by mainland cities led by Athens. Notable battles of this war include Marathon, Thermopylae, Salamis, and Plataea. In 458 BC, while the Persian Wars were still ongoing war broke out between the Athenians and Sparta (and both parties allies) turning in 431 BC into the Peloponnesian War. After decades of sieges and land and naval battles Sparta came out on top but discontent with Spartan hegemony let to war with Thebes who crushed Sparta at the Battle of Leuctra in 371 BC. In 346 BC however the rising power of Macedon quickly conquered the exhausted cites of Greece
Using the army in ADLG
- Armoured Spearmen! Elite!!
- You are picking your Thracians to be a pointy edge to enemy spears, and lots of LI to hold terrain
- Medium Cavalry can sit behind a spear wall and fill in any gaps
User-contributed links about this army:
- Visit Marathon Tourist board images and videos from re-enactments at the battle site
- Gorgon Studios guides to painting Skirmishers, Spartans and Helots
- Greek Shield Designs Luke Ueda-Sarsons page of ideas for painting
Figure Gallery for this army - from Fanaticus
- Thessalians DBA Figure Gallery for this army - from Fanaticus
15mm Manufacturers supplying figures for this army
- Essex Miniatures - bit dull these days, but OK. Separate spears
- Xyston - pretty big chaps, Separate spears
- AB from Fighting 15s also very large, but may just about mix with Xyston
- Museum Miniatures Rather tall and lanky even next to Xyston, limited number of poses
- Black Hat Miniatures (previously Gladiator Games)
- Old Glory 15's, usual OG - pretty good, pretty cheap.
- Magister Militum One piece castings - spear in hand
- Irregular Miniatures
- Lancashire Games
- QRF Models Some skirmishers in the Hellenistic Greek range.
- Tin Soldier Idiosyncratic cartoonish figures
- Toolshed Miniatures - again a good match for Xyston. A great variety of clothing, helmet and armor styles among the hoplites, peltasts and light infantry.
- Pass o' The North.
- Viking Forge
Sample army lists for this army
- 3 of these
- 4 of these