Historical Overview Section
text about the army
Using the army in ADLG
- Attacking is always preferred. Attack in plains, rough terrain is not enough of a big deal.
- Players without foot bows will learn why they want them.
- Many steppe armies should be designed with a command that can flank march and you flank march A LOT with it.
- LH are a bit iffy, and may run out of space. Top out around 6 or 7 LH.
- MC is great when elite. You shouldn't plan to fight with it, but they are vicious shooting and with support often can hold up long enough to disengage. But if opponent doesn't have foot bows, then they are awesome.
- MC charging you in flank are pretty darn deadly!
- Knowing when to skeddale is an important factor.
- LH can interpenetrate and be interpenetrated by Cavalry - unlike in many other rules
- Shooty cav need to race in and get lots of turns shooty. Its opponent needs lots of turns to try and chase it down. Staying still against a shooty Cav army is suicide. If both players play slow then the game will time out.
- You need to have the majority of your army as Medium Cav
- Any (usually 4) 4 Heavy Elite Bow/Impact types should always be taken
- Take less than 10 light cavalry.
- Get good initiative
- Keep as many of your cavalry Elite as possible while keeping your breakpoint above 19-20.
- Elite make your bowfire decent and keeps the Medium Cav alive in melee
15mm Manufacturers supplying figures for this army
You can see some of the figures in the Ancients Photo Gallery also on this site. The Mongols had many subject troops, so look at the other Arab and East European ranges as well.
- Essex Miniatures Ilkhanid Mongols in their Crusades range, 9 Mongols in their ancients range
- Donnington 30+ Mongol figures
- Black Hat (Gladiator Games) 5 Ilkhanids in their Crusades range
- Old Glory 9 Mongols
- Museum Many Mongol and other figures
- Irregular Minis 13 Mongols in their Asian and Turk ranges
- Lancashire Games 5 Mongols in their Ancients ranges, some tatas in their Renaisance range
- Isarus (more former TTG figures) 19 Mongols
- Viking Forge Mongol range with 5 figures
- Brian Hall’s Hall of Ancient Warriors 6 Mongols
- Battle Line (NZ) former TTG Ranges, as above
- Outpost - Central Asian Turk range
- Khurasan - Many Central Asian types
- Legio heroica Turcomans in their Crusades Arab ranges, and a new Mongol range too
- Navwar Turcomen in their Persian range
- SHQ Miniatures/Kennington Yuan, Ming & Mongols
- Legio Heroica new range (as of 2010) of Mongol cavalry
- Alain Touller Alain Touller - true 15mm figures from France - lots of variety in their "Peuples des steppes" range, alhough the future of this range is uncertain after Alain sadly passed away
User-contributed links about this army. Add links in this format:
- name of link description of link
as an example
- Arab Conquest Arab Conquest army on Fanaticus
Sample army lists for this army
- 3 of these
- 4 of these