Modern Infantry in 20mm
There are several pages of this stuff
Ambush Alley Games Force on Force rules are the new cool ruleset for modern skirmish games. Inspired by the possibility of digging out some of my old 1/72nd Matchbox British Paratroops and the fact that there are now loads more manufacturers of modern figures in plastic than when I was a lad, I've started to collect some new, and pruce up some old figures (painted when I was back in school!) with an unscientific coat of ArmyPainter Quickshade.
I have set up a listing of all the 20mm modern metal figure manufacturers I know on this page, with the ability for you to vote on which is best - there are plenty more plastic companies such as Caesar, Revell, Orion, Airfix, Matchbox, Esci (these packs appear under the MARS brand as well) and Atlantic but they are already well covered on the excellent Plastic Soldier Review site. There is also a pretty full list of manuafacturers on the Ambush Alley Games site too. If you want to see pictures of an actual game, I have some on another page here and even more here
Full list of Figure Manufacturers
Here is your chance to rate the 20mm metal figure manufacturers - just click to vote on any of the ranges
- Elheim are the "official" manufacturer for Force on Force, and carry several discrete ranges of figures, under separate brands.
- The figures are sold in packs of 2-4 and have proportions which place them about midway along the "Slim plastics-chunky metals" spectrum
- Ranges include Special Forces, Y2k+ Brits and Americans, Iraqi's, Afghans, Insurgents, Cold War Warpac & NATO, Africa, Somalia, Arab-Israeli Wars, India/Pakistan and Vietnam.
- They also carry Wartime Miniatures & Sgt Major Miniatures (which largely duplicate the other ranges) and some Law Enforcement and Zombie types
- The site runs its payments and ordering through Paypal.
- S&S are a UK-based manufacturer with figures and a very large range of resin/metal vehicles and scenery.
- Ranges include 80's NATO/Warpac, 80's French and Foreign Legion, Modern Africans, Special Forces, Chinese, Afghans, Insurgents
- S&S have a good number of photos on their site, however for a full listing of figures you need to request a pdf listing by email. They take paypal payments, and also have a pre-order club for vehicles so you can request new models.
- Under Fire is the new brand for the former Martello ranges, and this UK-based manufacturer is now adding to the previous range of figures.
- Ranges include British ('03-'09), Rhodesians, IDF, Afghans, 2010 Brits, Modern Russians, Vietnam, Modern Poles, Armd UK Police Rhodesian African Rifles with 80's Bundeswehr, Georgian troops in 'Fritz' style helmets, vehicle crews, and Modern Italians in the pipeline. 2013 also sees the launch of a Chechen Militia range and a Generic Militia range of eight figures in total, in two packs of 4 figures each with mismatched head gear, uniforms & webbing.
- The website has a full set of pictures for the ranges, which look to be slim enough to go with Elheim and maybe even plastics, and takes Paypal payments.
- UK-based Britannia are now owned by Grubby Tanks, and are gradually re-releasing all of their ranges.
- Figure ranges currently include Afghan British and Insurgents and Special Forces, with a slightly wider range of vehicles from these and other nations. The figures are very much at the chunky end of the spectrum
- The website has a no pictures of the figures as yet, and takes paypal payments.
- The Liberation ranges are owned by RH Models, a UK-based manufacturer who also carry a range of resin/metal vehicles and scenery.
- There are a huge number of ranges including Modern & 80's (Falklands-era) British, SAS, 1970's-onwards US Army & Special Forces, Africans, Rhodesians, South Africans, Indo-China (1950's), Korea & Vietnam, Balkans, Chechens, Terrorists, Iran/Iraq war, Insurgents, Arab Militia forces, Arab/Israeli wars, PLO, Modern Russians, Afghans, Cubans, NATO & WARPAC. They have some pictures here and also on a need-to-register online photo gallery at this address
- The figures are sold in small quantities, and PH Models accept cheques and credit cards, but, unusually, not Paypal.
- Stan Johansen are US based, and have a smallish range of modern 20mm figures.
- The ranges are Mercenaries, Modern US infantry, Police & Civilians, Insurgents/Jihadists (& Civilians), Urban Terrorists, Spies, Modern Russians and South Africans - all with pictures on their site.
- The figures are generally sold in packs of 4-8, and they accept paypal. International postage includes insurance which makes it a bit pricey
- Platoon 20, sold by East Riding Miniatures in the UK have a number of post-war ranges of 20mm figures.
- The ranges are Falklands Brits and Argentines, Civilians & Terrorists, Egyptians/Syrians, IDF, East Germans, Africans, Mercenaries, Vietnam (Vietcong, US, French, Vietminh, Australians,Khmer Rouge, NVA), Afghan era Mujhadeen, Brits and Americans, Chechens, Foreign legion, Russian/CIS, Iraqi's. There ae pics for all of them on their site.
- The figures are generally sold in packs of 4, and the site takes paypal.
- Mj Figures are a relatively new UK manufacturer who are resold through Newline Designs as well.
- The ranges are Falklands Brits and Argentines, African Rebels, Americans, Georgians, Mercenaries, Taliban, Soviets and a news crew. There are pics of all the figures, a mix of painted and unpainted, on their site.
- The figures are sold individually and the site takes paypal.
- Figures, Armour, Artillery are a US based retailer and manufacturer, recently bought by Lost Battallion Publishing and re-booted.
- They in the past did carry some 3rd party ranges, but now only list their own castings including Arab-Israeli Wars (1973), a couple of Falklands-era British and Argentine figure codes for support weapons, one pack of five 1990's British, post 2001 US Army, and opponents for all of these in the shape of PLO, Iraqi Army and Taliban. They also have a T72 and some separate support weapons.
- The website has as yet no pictures, and takes Paypal.
- Stonewall sell the Combat Miniatures range from the UK, with some intriguing ranges - which may also be the FAA ranges under another name..?.
- These include Urban Operations (Civilians, Rioters, British 1970's Army Security, Police, SAS and SWAT teams), Falklands-era British and Argentines, Grenada Invasion Grenadans and Americans, Russian-Invasion Afghans and Russians, Syrians, Palestinians and Israelis, US Airborne from Iraq and finally Chinese Nationalists and Communists.
- The website has a smattering of pictures, and the company takes credit cards and cheques.
- TDQ Figures, sold by CP Models have a single 20mm modern range.
- The figures they have are Falklands-era British with 2 packs of 6 figures, each available with helmets, berrets or caps. The pictures show them as finely cast figures with similar proportions to plastic figures.
- The website has pictures for all 12 figures (!!) and takes PayPal.
- Wartime Miniatures, based in Australia but also resold by Elheim.
- They have Afghan Civilians, Modern Australians, Insurgents, Modern US Army, Middle Eastern Afghans and Police, Russians, Special Forces, and Contractors. They look similar to Elheim figures in proportions.
- The website has photos of all the figures, some painted, and takes PayPal.
- Australian manufacturer Brevet's website is down as of 23/4/12, however they were at one point carried by Miniatures of Chesapeake in the US, although it look slike they are down to their last few packs.
- The Chesapeake site showed Insurgents and US Rangers, which also seems to be what is on the Ambush Alley forum. Once / if the site comes back online I will update this listing
- They looked to have been sold in bags of a squad of men.
- Irregular Miniatures are a UK-based manufacturer who sell a huge range of figures in different scales and for different periods. Their 20mm modern ranges cover African Guerilla forces, Portuguese colonial troops to match them, Very British Civil War (circa WW1 era, but with some useful civilians), Civilian Rioters and some animals.
- The site has pictures for some but by no means all of the figures, both painted and unpainted and around 50p each
- Sgt Major Miniatures are based in the US but are also sold in the UK through Elheim
- The ranges cover all sides in the Vietnam conflict, plus modern US Marines, US Army, Afghans and Iraqi's. Their site and Elheim have pictures of all the figures
- The figures are sold in half-squads and the site takes paypal and credit cards.
- Mutineer Miniatures are a UK based company, who;s figures are sold by Sgt Major Miniatures in the US
- They have two ranges, Modern African Christian Militia and Islamic Militia. Their site has some nice pictures of all the figures
- The figures are sold in packs of around 5-6 and the site takes paypal and credit cards.
- SHQ are a UK based company with a Vietnam range and Gulf War range in 20mm
- The Vietname range cover US, US Special Forces, Viet Cong and South Vietnamese. They also have a M113 and a Huey. The Gulf War range is a handful of Brits and Iraqi army types
- The figures are sold in packs of 3/4.
Who am I missing? Mail me to tell me at email@example.com
The figures on this page are a mix of Elheim and Caesar Miniatures, with some Matchbox (now OOP) thrown in
This site also has a page that displays all of the current "modern 20mm" listings on UK eBay which is accessible here via this link
Elheim Modern US Marine infantry
Elheim Modern US Marine infantry
Britannia Dicker on motorcycle
20mm Falklands-era Brits from RH / Liberation, to add heavy weapons to my (OOP) Matchbox plastic Brits
Matchbox British Paratroops (Falklands era, and originally painted around that time too!)
Elheim Modern Contractors
Elheim Modern Russian (right) with Airfix Modern Russian
Elheim Special Forces Leader
Caesar Miniatures (plastic) Urban Resisters and Militia
Elheim & Esci Russians
Caesar Miniatures Urban Resisters and Militia
MJ TV Crew
Shanty from Ironclad Miniatures with Elheim Modern Russian
Force on Force
Order on Amazon here